Syndicate content

Couple arrested in connection with Gatwick drone sightings released

Friday, 21 December, 2018 - 19:06

A man and woman arrested on Friday night as part of an investigation into drone activity that has severely disrupted air traffic at London’s Gatwick airport, were released without charge, Sussex police said.

“These two people cooperated fully in our investigation and I am confident that they are no longer suspects in the UAV incidents in Gatwick,” police official Jason Tingley said in a statement.

“Our investigation is continuing to locate those responsible for the drone incursions, and we continue to actively explore avenues,” he added.

The 47-year-old man and his 54-year-old wife, were arrested on Friday night at their home in Crawley, South London, a few kilometers from the airport.

The situation had normalised over the weekend at Gatwick Airport, the second busiest in the United Kingdom after Heathrow, which had been forced to stop for about thirty-six hours since Wednesday evening because of overflight drones playing cat and mouse with the police.

On its website, the airport specified however that delays and cancellations remained possible, following the serious disturbances of the previous days.

On Thursday night, the police had explained that drones had been seen more than fifty times since Wednesday night. Police described the incident as a “deliberate act” , while assuring that there was “no indication that this was related to terrorism”.

The military has been called for help and the defense ministry has announced that it has deployed specialised equipment to help the police track down the drones.

 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Country