A former general of the Bosnian forces during the war in former Yugoslavia, Ramiz Drekovic, was arrested on Wednesday in Sarajevo, according to the Bosnian Prosecutor’s Office. He is suspected of crimes against Serb civilians.
General Ramiz Drekovic, a retired commander of the 4th Corps of the Bosnian Muslim-led army, is suspected of ordering attacks on a southeastern village, during which a 15-year-old was killed and more people injured and properties destroyed, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement.
“The suspect is charged with issuing direct, strictly confidential orders to artillery units on a wider area of Konjic municipality to randomly shell the village of Kalinovik, inhabited by Serbs, in spring 1995,” the statement said.
A Bosnian native of Serbia, 62-year-old Drekovic was captain of the Yugoslav People’s Army (JNA) before the dismantling of the federation in 1991 and the subsequent wars that left more than 130,000 dead in the former Yugoslavia, including nearly 100,000 in Bosnia.
He then joined the Muslim-led Bosnian army. Drekovic retired shortly after the end of the inter-communal conflict that lasted between 1992 and 1995, aftehr which he served as an advisor to several Bosnian leaders. Judges must now rule on the need to keep him in detention.
Two other former Bosnian generals have been indicted for war crimes since 2016. Sakib Mahmuljin, 66, is charged with crimes committed against dozens of Serbian prisoners of war by a foreign mujahideen unit attached to his troops. Atif Dudakovic, 64, was indicted in October with 16 others for “killing more than 300 mostly civilian Serbs.
The former Bosnian commander in the Srebrenica enclave, Naser Oric, was acquitted last week.